Sunday, September 6, 2009

Another CFH Button Bits card

Most of the cards I make, if they are not for a specific person, are now going to Cards For Heroes.  I feel its important to encourage our service men & women.  They are risking their lives for our freedom and its awfully easy to forget about them while we are safe and sound at home.  Their families also make sacrifices while their soldiers are away.  Words can not express the gratitude I feel - and also the desire to help.  I remember when my brother was overseas and my SIL was home alone with 4 young children.  There wasn't a lot I could do then, but I know others helped them.  There still isn't a lot I can do, but if making /sending cards to CFH so a soldier can let his or her family know that they are missed and loved - well I just have to do that.

Here is one I was playing around with.  I have wanted to recreate the topiary card that Nichole Heady made for the sneak peek of Everyday Button Bits.  So here is my attempt

I used Background Basics Text Style for the background on the focal layer and the card base.  I ended up getting a burgundy fingerprint on the base so turned it into a "new technique" lol - introducing fingerprint background
Don't know if I'll ever repeat it (hopefully I'll be more careful next time :o)
I also wanted to point out the avocado strip.  I used the Bitty Dots paper, but I didn't like how much the white dots stood out since most of this card is muted colors.  So I whipped out my YG97 Copic (the darkest from the Ripe Avocado Copic trio over at PTI) and colored over the whole strip of paper.  The dots still show through but are much more muted.  I really liked how this turned out.
Thanks for stopping by!
{Topiary Card supplies}
Stamps: (PTI) Everyday Button Bits, Background Basics: Text Style
Paper: (SU!) Kraft, Bravo Burgundy, White, (PTI) Bitty Dot patterned Ripe Avocado
Ink: (SU!)Bravo Burgundy, Chocolate Chip, (PTI) Vintage Touch Tea Dye Duo, (Tim Holtz) Distress Ink - Tea Dye, (Copic) YG97 marker
Embellies:(SU!) Burgundy grosgrain, (PTI) Scarlet Jewel satin & bitty dotted satin ribbon, new leaf vintage buttons, white button twine

No comments:

Post a Comment