Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My New Crochet Box

I was totally inspired by this post from Melissa Bickford and this post from Nichole Heady dealing with crocheted flowers. I used to crochet but haven't in a while *cough* over 30 years *cough* but thought I could relearn it pretty quick.
I called my mom and arranged a quick trip home to learn again. After about 2 hours my mom kept saying - You need to hold the yarn with a little more tension. The best compliment was when, 5 hours after I started she said "You're holding it better" :o)

By the end of the weekend I pretty much had it down at least for the directions I was using (I found the link from Melissa's website easier to do with yarn. The embroidery floss is a little to fine for me to work with yet, but I can't wait to improve my skillz (with a "z") and try Nichole's pattern!)

So to help organize all my new crocheting treasures I needed a box, and well it couldn't be a plain box, so I decorated up a cigar box I purchased at Michael's for all of about $2.50.

I had also received my SU! preorder (love the new catty!) so decided to razzleberry it up. The paper is Razzleberry Lemonade paired with Soft Suede (another new In Color) and PTI Raspberry Fizz ribbon. I think they all tie together so well. I'm getting more and more comfortable with those bright, bright colors too!

Right there on the top is one of the flowers I made out of some Sugar -n- Cream variegated pink & white yarn

Inside I made a storage spot for my floss chart by adhering a flat large cello bag to the inside lid. This chart was so I would know what numbers I used that went with which CS colors. I also slid my flower instructions in there too so I have it all in one nice neat little package.

I lined the box with Pretty in Pink then decided I needed dividers and used the pink patterns from Bella Rose

Now I've got a spot for my hooks and scissors, a little spot for my scraps and a while lotta space for my floss and yarn. Easy for on the go. You can even see a few other flowers I made in the upper right of the box (white and red - the red one only ended up with 4 petals instead of 5 ... I guess I still need to work on my counting :o)

Thanks for stopping by!

{Crochet Box Supplies}
Paper: (All SU!) Razzleberry Lemonade (new), Soft Suede (new), Pretty in Pink, Bella Rose (retiring)
Other: Large cello bag (SU!)
Embellies: (all PTI) Raspberry Fizz satin and dotted satin ribbon, chocolate vintage buttons

For the chart I just cut a piece of CS 6x8.5 and punched CS closely matching the embroidery floss with my tag punch and adhered the floss number to the center of the tag. All floss is DMC

No comments:

Post a Comment