Saturday, January 1, 2011

SFYTT - January Sketch

The Sketch For You To Try is going from weekly to monthly this year.  I'm sad because I love seeing a lot of Jen Del Muro's talent, but I'm glad because with a monthly challenge, I'll be able to play along a lot more regularly.  This months sketch is amazing {again}



I needed to make a birthday card for my dad so I used this sketch, turned it on its side and pulled out an old nature themed SU set - Natural Beauty.  I love the images in this set, but haven't used it for a while.

To make it a little more masculine I used the wood grain impression plate.  Its not only manly but gives a great texture element to the card.


I stamped the larger text background in Rich Razzleberry repeatedly to make the background layer.  I stamped the leaf on a scrap of watercolor paper and then did a wash over it (little ink lots of water).  after I got the wash look I wanted I went back in with more ink on my aqua painter and created the leaf vein details.


The sentiment layer was made using Fillable Frames #10 (die and frame image) and #8 (sentiment). I love how those sets are so mix and matchy .... any sentiment goes with any frame!  Awesome!  I finished it with randomly stamping the leaf image on the sentiment layer.  I stamped off twice before stamping on the die cut so it would be a very light silhouette.

Thanks for stopping by!

{Supplies - unless noted}
Stamps: Natural Beauty (retired); Fillable Frames #8, Fillable Frames #10 [PTI]
Paper: Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, Whisper White, Watercolor
Ink: Rich Razzleberry, Early Espresso
Tools: Circle nestabilities [Spellbinders]; Fillable Frames #10 die, Wood Grain impression plate [PTI]; aqua painter

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful take on the sketch, Maureen! Love the masculine feel and the added texture from the dry embossing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and unique card! Love the background stamp and the color combo! :D

    ♥Tracey♥...ƸӜƷ

    ReplyDelete