Monday, August 3, 2009

Pattern Mixing

The Papertrey Senior Design team this week unveiled their latest challenge - mixing patterns ... gasp!  Some people are so great at that (Dawn McVey comes readily to mind) but patterns intimidate me and mixing patterns down right terrifies me.

But the DT memebers are so great about sharing tips and techniques for making my own craft better that I thought I would give it a try.

Step 1 - Stop shaking ... its just paper :o)
Step 2 - I liked the tips from Wendy Sue about keeping the scale the same and the color palette similar.  I can do that

I decided for my venture into pattern I would stick with 2 colors (others suggest up to 5, but that makes my head spin lol!) - I used Ocean Tides and Ripe Avocado patterned papers from PTI (I've been steadily collecting the PTI patterned papers over the last 6 months so I have quite the Stash)

I mounted the squares on a pieces of Spring Moss and added a strip of chocolate twill .
I also used my new In Bloom set for the first time.  I love the images and how versatile they are - its not just another flower set.  The edges are super simple to trim so you can get that great layered look with  foam tape.  The leaves I stamped on some old newspaper (cute and "green"  how cool is that - besides text print  backgrounds are all the rage!)  I even found an ad header that had the same mossy green in it, so it coordinates too :o)
I also love the font in this set - the curliness of it is fantastic!
So maybe patterns aren't so scary any more ... but I'll take baby steps :o)  Here is the whole card:
This one will go in my stash for my next shipment to Cards For Heroes.  Check out this great organization that reaches out to encourage our troops.  If you have extra cards or just feel like making up a batch, keep them in mind.  For rules cards, check here.  Some things we don't think about can present a danger to a deployed soldier (glitter is one)
Thanks for stopping by!
{Friend card supplies - All PTI unless noted}
Stamps: In Bloom
Ink: (All SU!) Pink Passion, Chocolate Chip
Paper: Kraft, Raspberry Fizz,  Spring Moss, Bitty Dots (ocean tides) Tea Leaves (ripe avocado & ocean tides), Bitty Boxes (ripe avocado) and newspaper
Tools: Square punch, foam tape
Embellies: chocolate twill (SU!)

No comments:

Post a Comment