Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bargello

According to Wikipedia, Bargello is a type of needlepoint embroidery consisting of upright flat stitches laid in a mathematical pattern to create motifs. The name originates from a series of chairs found in the Bargello palace in Florence, which have a "flame stitch" pattern.

The paper crafts version consists of making your own striped pattern (or using a striped patterned paper) cutting it into strips and offsetting those strips to form the variegated pattern. I tried it after seeing some awesome examples in the latest Stampin' Success.

I made this gift card holder for my dad for Father's Day:



Since Fathers Day is close to the 4th I decided to go with a stars & stripes , red, white & blue theme.

The card holder pattern comes from Heather Nichols although I changed the inner layer size a little to get less overhang.  Since it was her pattern, I used stamps from her line ... the star strip is from Around and About Sentiments and the sentiment is from Fillable Frames #4

To create the bargello pattern I first attached strips (1/2", 1/4") to a scrap piece of card stock.  The colors went Red, White, Blue and the sizes went 1/2" followed by three 1/4" strips so that the same color would not always be the larger strip.  After I got all those strips placed,  I sliced the piece up into 1/2" strips and arranged on yet another piece of scrap CS, staggering the pattern by roughly a 1/8" (I just offset by about half the width of the skinnier strip)


Instead of hand stitching as Heather did, I ran a crazy / random straight stitch using white thread and a red bobbin (the back stitching shows red and the front is white ... it actually looks rather cool IMO)


Inside is a {drum roll please ... }

Cedar Rapids Metro Library card ....

I needed something to check the size !  I promise it will be replaced with something that has steak house in the title before I give it to my dad :)


Thanks for stopping by!

Supplies {All PTI unless noted}
Stamps: Around & About sentiments, Fillable Frames #4
Ink:Fresh Snow, Pure Poppy
Paper: Kraft, Pure Poppy, Enchanted Evening, White
Embellies: Vintage buttons - Enchanted evening, button twine, Enchanted Evening stitched grosgrain ribbon
Other: white and red sewing thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment