Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Non Traditional Grad Card

Most of the grad cards I do are at least focused on a graduation theme - cap and gown, school colors, etc.  I do a few that are geared toward the person and this is one of those

For whatever reason I see my niece as a beach girl.  She lives in New York State, but my sister's family would always go spend parts of the summer on the Jersey Shore playing on the beach.  My sister is also a sun lover and her eldest certainly takes after her.  I also have a rep for awesome with my niece (well for cards anyway :).  Hopefully this one maintains the trend

So here is my niece (and god daughter)'s graduation card ...


I used baby wipes and re-inkers in Island Indigo, Pool Party and Soft Suede on water color paper to create the beach and water scene.  Really just playing around.  The only tip I'd give to to lighten the ink on some scrap paper first  Even wet from the baby wipe the Soft Suede would have been too dark without doing that first.  I also used a dry brush technique and added white ink to where I thought waves might be.

This card was a CASE from Debbie Olson's release card


I used the Background Basics: Farm & Barn set with that wonderful worn barn wood stamp to create a dock.  That part was inspired by Heather Nichols.  The flip flops (which I adore in stamps but not as footwear) are made from the new SU in color Summer Starfruit.  I'm not a huge yellow fan but this yellow is growing on me such that I think I will really like it.  The flowers are another new In Color Primrose Petals.  Both of these colors will be available June 1 (yes new SU catalog goes live June 1 this year!)


The sentiment is from For the Graduate.  Its not a traditional graduation sentiment but fits so perfectly with this card.

And with that, I think I've maintained my reputation for awesomeness with my niece - phew, I was worried there for a minute :)

Thanks for stopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment