Friday, April 10, 2009

Card File and cards for a friend

A dear sweet friend of mine found out that her mom has cancer about a week ago. We are trying to help out as much as we can as my friend is an only child and her father passed away several years ago. Lucile, my friend's mom, is in care right now and one of the things we can bless her with is note cards. I thought "Note cards need a home" and since I've been really wanting to try out Lauren Meaders, My Timeless Templates, I purchased the Filed with Flair template and got started.

Lucile has been a quilter for ever and for her 90th birthday I made a guest book that incorporated buttons and lace. I knew there had to be a sewing element to this. Her favorite color is purple so I knew that would also dominate.

I first printed the template on PTI Plum Pudding card stock. I figured out where are the red line tape needed to go then started to work on the side mat layers. I used Dawn McVey's Damask Designs and stamped all over the mat layers in SU! Elegant Eggplant. I also sponged the sides of all the layers with the eggplant ink.

I created square and rectangle bits to cover the front and back. Since my sewing thread is cream I used SU! Very Vanilla for the larger layers.

Sewing on paper was interesting ... I practiced first and decide I wasn't good enough to try and sew around the curves so I just did the straight edges of the side layers, but was able to do all of the front and back. I really liked how the zig zag stitching turned out.
I finished it off with some satin ribbon from SU! and the vintage cream buttons from PTI.
I also made a half dozen note simple cards to include in the file.
This is a simple card made from Pale Plum and Perfect Plum card stock. I embossed a matching layer with the Birds & Swirls Cuttlebug embossing folder. The leaf image is from PTI's Rustic Branches and the flower is from Around and About Sentiments.

A note about My Timeless Templates:
These are fabulous. 3D stuff is a challenge for me but the templates come with a fabulous design idea document with easy to follow instructions. Lauren makes packaging super cool, and super easy! If you are lucky enough to have a printer that takes card stock (my old one does) then you print - cut - score - and go. Easy peasy!

{Supplies for Card File}
Stamps: Damask Designs (PTI)
Paper:PTI Plum Pudding, SU!Very Vanilla
Ink:SU! Elegant Eggplant
Embellishments:PTI Vintage Cream buttons, SU! Satin ribbon
Tools: Scor-Pal, craft blade (for cutting template), Filed with Flair template, cream quilting thread, sewing machine

{Flower Card}
Stamps: Rustic Branches, Around and About Sentimnets (PTI)
Paper:SU! Pale Plum, Perfect Plum, Very Vanilla
Ink:SU! Elegant Eggplant, Always Artichoke
Tools: Birds & Swirls CB embossing folder, Big Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment